Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Random Thoughts

I find it sad how much energy we waste everyday. I was using the restroom this week and there was an automatic paper towel dispenser. Even though I do appreciate not getting the extra germs by touching a lever or knob, I could not help be feel a little guilty for using energy to do such an easy task. Some bathrooms have electric toilets, faucets, and soap dispensers. I am sure most of this equipment is powered by batteries, which make it even worse. Those batteries are going to end up in the trash at some point.

This got me thinking. If there was some way to harness the energy of people actually entering the bathroom and use this energy to power these hygienic automatic equipment pieces. Then it came to me. There could be generator type hinges on the doors. The energy gathered by the act of the each person opening the door to the bathroom could be stored in a capacitor and used for the electric features. I am sure there would not be a lot of energy created, but if you think about this technology being applied to every door in a large office building. This energy source could really contribute to a companies total energy consumption.

So I did a google search and this technology has already been considered. So, it doesn't look like I am going to get rich off this idea. There are already "hinge" generators being used in experiments to power LED lights. Also, it would probably cost a company more to implement the technology versus the actual monetary savings it would provide. On to the next idea to save humanity! This is just one of the random thoughts that passed through my mind this week. I know, I need help!

No comments:

Post a Comment